Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Rhyacophila carolina at a small stream in Sugar Hollow


The plan was to go to Buck Mt. Creek where I'm sure the winter insects -- H. amplum small minnow mayflies, Clioperla clio Perlodids, etc. -- are fairly mature.   But BMC is still high, fast, and off-color.  I'm still restricted to the small, first order streams in Sugar Hollow: I'm not even sure that the Rapidan is doable yet.

My choice today was a small stream that spills into the Moormans not far from the first bridge.  This is only the second time that I've stopped there.  I sure didn't have to look very hard to find lots of interesting insects.  While here, too, the E. dorothea spiny crawlers dominated my findings, I was most excited about this free-living caddisfly larva, Rhyacophila carolina, one that I've only seen in a few of our streams.  Tolerance value: 0.4.

There are three features that distinguish this species, one is the color of the head and pronotum: golden brown (Beaty, "The Trichoptera of North Carolina," 60).   That's very clear in all of my pictures.



Number two -- there are no ventral teeth (denticles) on the anal claws.


And number three -- the sides of the head are "rounded," not "parallel."  Compare R. carolina with R. nigrita.



R. carolina, according to Beaty, is the "second most common Rhyacophila in NC."
________________

For the rest, pretty much what we'd expect to find in a small mountain stream at this time of year.

1. Spiny crawler mayflies, E. dorothea.  As I did at the Whippoorwill last week, I found both the large nymphs that are dark brown with a pale dorsal stripe,  nymphs that are already fairly mature,



and some much smaller nymphs that still have a long way to go.  However, these E. dorotheas were not so much "speckled" -- as those at the Whippoorwill were -- as highly patterned, and one was a very odd color, very orange.



2. A Limnephilid (Northern case-maker), genus Pycnopsyche -- the one with the three-sided case made out of segments of leaves.


3. Common stonefly, Eccoptura xanthenses.  I saw quite a few -- this was their kind of stream.



4. And as you can see in that photo, I found some Uenoids, including two very small Neophylax aniqua.  Here is a close-up of the one in the photo above.  The blunt tubercle on the head is visible even though the larva was only 2.5 mm.



Here's a second N. aniqua: this one was 3 mm long.




I also found two N. concinnus Uenoids: the photos of this one were the best.




N. concinnus larvae have a small, rounded tubercle on the head which you can see if you enlarge this photo.   They also have a "spiculate" pattern on the frontoclypeus and fairly large spines on the anterior of the pronotum.


And no clavate gills.

_____________

Note the difference in size of two of the E. dorotheas.


No comments:

Post a Comment